St. Mary’s Towers, Douglas Park is a Mass Centre of the Parish of St. Anthony’s, Picton – Tahmoor, in the Catholic Diocese of Wollongong. Founded in 1847.
The main Parish Church is in Tahmoor, located south-west of Sydney in the Wollondilly Region. St Anthony’s Parish also incorporates St Patrick’s Church at Menangle and the Sheil Memorial Church at Picton. The areas covered by St Anthony’s Parish include Bargo, Balmoral, Buxton, Couridjah, Douglas Park, Lakesland, Menangle, Picton, Pheasants Nest, Tahmoor, Thirlmere, Wilton and Yanderra.
The original Douglas Park Village Church in Station Street opposite the rail line, began its existence as the town’s community hall. Built in 1937, it was consecrated as a church two years later. By 1971 the parish priest, Father Scanlon, was under increasing pressure providing pastoral care for such a large parish, so the clergy of the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart from the local St Mary’s Towers community provided for the spiritual needs of the Catholics of Douglas Park and Wilton. In 1977 Bishop William Murray merged the churches of Appin, Wilton, Douglas Park and Menangle into one parish and asked the M.S.C. to administer these communities. In 1987 this decision was reversed and the Douglas Park Mass Centre returned to St. Anthony’s Picton-Tahmoor.
The M.S.C. still assist the parish clergy by providing for the needs of local Catholics.
For Mass Times and Sacramental enquiries contact:
St. Mary’s Towers
Phone: 02 4630 9232
Entrance to St. Mary’s Towers Church (2008)